Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Proposal

Sculpture II
Proposal
Eric Hollingsworth

Materials: various metal wires from steel to filigree.

In this semester of sculpture, I will be renewing my artistic relationship with an older flame of mine. My primary goals, artistically, have always been to tell stories through my work, but leave enough to the mind of the viewer to establish their own interpretation of the same story. Most often, I accomplish this via the human, or at least a humanoid, form, but I have also pursued this end through many different forms as well. The most expressive medium I ever worked with in this respect, sculpturally, was that of metal wire. The various gauges and metals that compose the structure of these wires can be applied in so many different ways, from form to actual color variance. The various wires easily flow as three dimensional contour compositions, representing a what might be a true form somewhere else in existence.
Therefore, I will push my normal boundaries this semester, and produce five, relatively human sized, works from various wires, exploring the human form and its various applications to my own styles and sculptural inclinations. The five pieces will be wholly representational of different aspects of life, only shown via non-living means. I am seeking to bring life to my work, and the wire representations that I make this semester will hopefully bring me closer to this.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds cool, Eric. I look forward to seeing your work. I too am drawn to wire work and its multitude of possibilities.

    ReplyDelete